Sunday, March 19, 2006

Let's get political, political. I wanna get political...

This past weekend I went to visit a few friends in Washington D.C. I'm just going to start by throwing out that I was at the same bar as Dave Chappelle my last night there (I was very tempted to go up to him and offer to buy him some purple drink, but I kept my cool). So according to my new scale of measuring fun (see second to previous post), I had a fabulous time. But let's rewind and start from the beginning. Friday was St. Patrick's Day. We went to a house party around 2:00 pm to watch NCAA basketball games (I don't even want to talk about my bracket) . But more importantly, we went to drink from the keg of green beer. I learned a valuable lesson: green beer drinking at 2:00 p.m. = April asleep by midnight with a green tongue. About 6 we left the party to get something to eat and I am still astonished and amazed that I was able to put down an entire burrito from Chipotle. These things are ginormous (same size as Qdoba, or a small infant, if that helps). We went out after dinner, but not for long.


Saturday, I did all the "touristy" things. The buildings and monuments really are spectacular and I was very impressed. I barely scratched the surface though of that city and am eager to go back. I saw the Supreme Court, the Capitol Building, the Washington Monument, the Botanical Gardens, the Whitehouse (luckily, I didn't get sniped), the Museum of Science and Natural History where I saw the Hope Diamond and a dinosaur, the Vietnam Memorial, the World War II Memorial, and the Lincoln Memorial, which was probably my favorite.

Representing Arkansas at the WWII Memorial.


You're my boy, Lincoln!


The Washington Monument is coming out of my head.


Ahhh, a dinosaur is eating my arm!


I like this picture because those are our reflections on the Vietnam Memorial. It is cool.


Here's where all the action takes place (maybe not all of it, but it's pretty hard to truly grasp the magnamity of all that happens, has happened, and will happen in this city). Here's a fun fact: D.C. has no skyscrapers because no building in the city can be built taller than this one.


I made it out much longer on Saturday night. We started out at a jazz club that was BYOB. We filled up a flask and listened to a few more than decent musicians. We left there to meet up with some other people who told us they were at a bar called Judy's. If you go to D.C., DO NOT GO TO JUDY'S! Judy's is an El Salvadorian restaurant that turns into a bar/dance place at night. By dancing I mean however one dances to mariachi music. The first sign we should not have been there was when my friend got metal detected as we walked in. He had the flask in his pocket. The second sign we should not have been there was when the flask set off the metal detector several times, but nothing was done about it. I didn't get checked. The place smelled like horrible body odor because it had no ventilation. We were the only two non-Hispanic people in the place and I was one of only 5 girls there. I honestly thought the people we were supposed to meet there had played a prank on us by sending us there. They were not there; they had (wisely) decided to go to another bar and hadn't even been there. We met them at a restaurant/jazz bar called Utopia where it ended up that Dave Chappelle was hanging out. He wasn't there long though, but as he left he brushed past my back and touched my hair. I will never wash it again! Haha. But not really. I then spent a half hour defending my use of the word "redonkulous", which I used in describing my Judy's experience. I think it was an excellent choice in conveying how ridiculous and comical my being there had been. We finished the night at Ben's Chili Bowl, which is a D.C. landmark and popular late night eatery where you can order almost anything slathered in chili. There is a whole lot more I could tell you about my trip, but do you really want to know more than about the eating, the drinking, and the celebrity siting?

I saw and learned quite a bit in D.C., but this new piece of information blows my mind more than anything else. Did you know that bagels are boiled before they are baked? Fascinating.

2 Comments:

Blogger Evin Demirel said...

Gawd - I can't believe you actually saw Dave Chapelle! So coolunkulous! And to think -- my eyes actually read the screen that carry the words that transmit the experience of you having your hair touched by his pervy, pervy hands!!! I WILL NEVER WASH THESE EYES AGAIN I SWEAR!

9:30 PM, March 20, 2006  
Blogger Evin Demirel said...

Gawd - I can't believe you actually saw Dave Chapelle! So coolunkulous! And to think -- my eyes actually read the screen that carry the words that transmit the experience of you having your hair touched by his pervy, pervy hands!!! I WILL NEVER WASH THESE EYES AGAIN I SWEAR!

9:30 PM, March 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home